We had a huge buffet today at the dock (I hope I wrote it right - it's where the boats are). There were many people who I didn't know, including my new cousins. They asked me so many questions about Austria.
As I mentioned "questions about Austria": The things people ask me are very funny sometimes. I have a few examples for you:
- Aaaah Austria is part of Germany right?
- Is your official language Austrian?
- You have kangaroos there!
- So why do you come to the US to learn English if you're from Australia?
- What do people speak in Australia?
- Do you ride horse buggies to school?
- So you already went shopping to buy clothes to fit in the society here? (What do they think we wear?!)
- Do you have McDonald's?
- So Hitler is your ... president right?
- I think you have a dictatorship, am I right?
- Do you celebrate Halloween? What's about Christmas?
- So as you have dialects there, can you understand German?
- How is the relation with Germany? You're having a war with Germany, aren't you?
- What's Austria? (Let's say it's a country)
- Do you know Justin Bieber?
I'm getting sick of all those stupid questions. Especially the McDonald's things. I mean fast food is everywhere! I bet even lonely islands have McDonald's!
But all in all I'm glad that people want to get to know Austria. Some people who know it think it's one of the most beautiful countries they have ever been to and the makes me a little bit proud. I mean if you would take Austria 1.7 times you have the area of Iowa. And Iowa, my friends, is a state. And Austria is a whole country (NOT part of Germany!) Having beautiful things in a little country makes me kind of proud.
Something I forgot: Everybody has a boat here. And we had something like a "come together" yesterday. We met somewhere at the lake and were there for about half an hour because it started to rain. But it was really nice!
Anyways, the buffet was awesome! There was meat (noooot what I really like to eat), potatoes, salads,... As I prefer sweet things for breakfast I was so in love with the "sweet table". Cinnamon roles, cake, fruits, muffins and the best thing were those cinnamon balls with a melted marshmallow inside! Best thing I have ever eaten here! (Except the cherry pie of the Amish, nothing can beat that)
After everybody was gone we started packing. Sadly, because it was a very hot and sunny day and I didn't want to leave...
I realized that I have school tomorrow and that made me want to stay more and more.
On our way home we stopped at the sign of a special town - Springfield. I know that there are many Springfields in America, but I wanted to have a picture with one of them. So I asked my host dad to stop and we jumped out of the car to take the picture. He said "What do I do for a foreign exchange student..."
All in all it was an amazing weekend though! Thanks to my host family for making this possible!
PS.: Tomorrow I will order the most awesome shoes an exchange student can have!!! I'll post a picture as soon as they arrive! I promise!
The "come together" how I call it
Look how many people there are!
Omnomnomnomnom...
THANK YOU FOR THIS WEEKEND!!!
Springfield!

Wow, those questions... Haha, were they asking AND really meaning them? Some of them sound more like a joke. Well, what a mystery our country is! :D
ReplyDeleteSomehow, as an Austrian you sometimes really do not recognize that you have a really nice country. As for Iowa and its size, are there any mountains there? (yes, I'm not very good with my geographics xD) Can't see any on the pictures, but you mentioned that long bus ride, so maybe you saw some... Do you miss the Austrian mountains?
And of course... FOOD! Love pictures of food :D
Great pictures as always and I wish you a nice (uh, being mean now) school week xD (okay, shouldn't probably say that, we have one week or less left...)
I think they were serious but I hope they were not, because it seems like they are not thaaat clever...
DeleteIowas has no mountains. As my host dad said "it's flat like a pancake" and it's true. There are mountains somewhere in the west of america.
And no I don't miss the mountains yet. I love the sunsets here because you can see the sun until it's totally gone behind the horizon (or the cornfield). And the sky gets so wonderful colours!!!
Food is really strange here but yeah...
Thanks and I wish you a good school start next week! What grade are you in?
Maybe they had to try those questions out once in their lifetime if they actually met an Austrian...
ReplyDeleteWell, it's great if the sunsets are beautiful... We had one really nice here one week ago, kind of a miracle, haha, I almost never see those sunsets xD
I'm in 2nd senior grade (meh, that sounds too complicated... Sechste Klasse einfach xD), thanks :)
Most likely, yes :)
DeleteI love the sunsets here! I'm so fascinated that in these moments all I can do is watching them
So you would be Sophomore here.
It's like this: 5. Klasse = Freshman, 6. Klasse = Sophomore, 7. Klasse = Junior, 8. Klasse = Senior
Now everything's getting clear... Haha, because you once wrote about somebody being a Freshman and I didn't know what it meant xD
ReplyDeleteFunny that I've never heard of someone being called Sophomore, haha... Such details get overlooked in the films I think xD
Yeah it's like sometimes the expression Senior is used in a movie (I can only give a stupid example: High School Musical - Senior Year), but most of the time people don't know what it means...
Delete