Monday, August 26, 2013

School system

Hey!

School is much much better now.

I thought i'll give you an update and explain a little bit how school is here.

First of all: The lessons itself are really not how you see them in the movies! People do not sing like in High School Musical, they aren't dressed like models, because they have training (Football, Cheerleading,...) so everybody wears sweat pants and a pullover or a normal t-shirt and there are no "groups" like the "Sport-Stars", the "Girly girls" and the "Gangsters". But I can say that the freaks exist. But they exist everywhere, so nothing special.
The american school system is strange. You have four terms. For every term you can choose four classes you want to have and you will have them everyday for nine weeks. When a new term starts you have three days to change your schedule what is really good, because you can experience several classes and then you can say what you want to take. But it's a little bit ineffective that there are no required subjects like maths or English. You could take Drawing, Band, PE and Sculpture and Ceramics and it counts for one term!
The next thing is: The students move the classrooms, not the teachers. There is a big stream of people every break going out of the classes and to their locker and to other classrooms. People are stressed, because they only have five minutes to do what they want to do, using the restroom, drinking some water, getting their books,... I experienced that on my own body: I was at my lovely smelling locker which is right next to the door of one classroom. The teacher let us go earlier so I was there before the bell had rung. I opened my locker to get my stuff, the bell rang, the door has been opened so fast that it crashed with the door of my locker and the locker-door hit my head as I was searching stuff in my locker. But it's ok. I learned that every time I go to get my stuff out of it, I have to look through the window of the classroom if there's somebody in there. And if yes I put one foot in the "block-the-door-position" so that the door can't crash my locker-door again. There's a solution for every problem, isn't it?
Anyways, I also noticed that nobody listens to the teacher. They are all just chilling in their chairs and I wonder why nobody fell on the ground yet...
We are allowed to listen to music, to eat and to drink. Everybody uses the phone, the teachers see it but don't say something.

The school itself is really like we see it in the movies.  The big gym with the logo on the ground and the bleachers on its right and left side. The lunch hall is exactly how we know it: Round tables, chairs round them and nothing else. Lunch itself is ok. The salad is super tasty and you can get sweets, chips, burgers and milk - whatever you want. You get it on the famous tray.

School is freaking cold though! I always wear jeans and a pullover and I'm really cold. But as soon as I leave the building my eyes hurt, because it's so bright and I'm so hot that I could go home naked.

I can't remember if I told you that: Contemporary health is cool! It's really interesting, but it goes very fast. The teacher does a PowerPoint presentation instead of writing on the blackboard and it's hard for me to write everything down. Nearly all of the students write it on their computers (or act like they would), but I'm faster when I write it on paper. And another problem is that I don't understand all of the words. So I sit there with the phone in one hand with the dictionary on it and the pencil in my other hand trying to write as fast as the teacher shows the text.

All in all it was a good day today!

And by the way: My cold doesn't get better. I have been in my bed since I came home from school...

Advisory ^^


"You can do homework and learn" - "No thanks, we prefer taking photos"

Please feel comfortable!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, that's some complicated school system there o:
    But it actually sounds neat not having to do maths, haha :D
    Pics are funny (man, I want a teacher like this too or a subject like that :X)...
    It's really weird that you are allowed to listen to music, I mean, I can understand the eating and drinking stuff, but listening to music? xD
    Well, not that I am complaining, I would do that all school lessons long if I was so bored... xD"
    Well, hope the fun doubles for you ^^

    ReplyDelete