Well, it is pretty much a combination of a lot of things: Throwing, high jump, long jump, distance running and sprinting. You specialize in one or two things.
In running there are many different events:
Single events:
- 3000 meters - long distance
- 1500 meters - long distance
- 800 meters - long/mid distance
- 400 meters - mid/short distance (sprint)
- 200 meters - short distance (sprint)
- 100 meters - short distance (sprint)
- 55 meters - short distance (sprint; only sometimes)
Team events (=Relays):
- 4x800
- 4x400
- 4x200
- 4x100
- Distance Medley (200m, 200m, 400m, 800m)
- Sprint Medley (100m, 100m, 200m, 400m)
A team consists of four people, that's why it's called "4x...". The first runner starts with a stick in his hand, called Baton. He runs the distance he's supposed to run and then hands off to the next runner who is already waiting in the lane. There are different kinds of hand-offs, depending on the type of relay, but that would be way too hard to explain right now.
For the place you run/jump/throw you get points, which are all added together and that's how the winner of the meet (schools come together and compete against each other) can be figured out.
I hope that makes any sense. It's hard for me to explain, but I gave my best to describe it somehow.
So, we practiced every day after school and lifted weights two times a week. It was really hard. I hated my life everyday at track (not really, but you know what I mean), but when I compare myself to the beginning of the season and now, I can really see an improvement. We had meets two times a week. I loved the meets, even though my nervousness drove me crazy every time.
Track ended yesterday and that's really sad. I can say I really enjoyed it, because it gave me something to do, something that I like and it brought me new friends. The funny moments will never be forgotten, I promise! I will miss it a lot and even though I said that I hate my life everyday at practice, deep down in my heart I loved it ;)
A special thanks to my coaches for torturing us and making us the great runners we are today!
![]() |
| Our Girls Track Team |
![]() |
| That's how a track looks like Most of the time it's around the football field, but this one here is around the soccer field |
![]() |
| The guys running hard |
![]() |
| Yes, I took this picture from the internet, because I didn't take one myself. Anyway, that's how a Baton looks like and how it's passed |
![]() |
| Running buddies forever! Kenna and I ran everything together. We were in the same events every time and didn't run one single relay without each other. Coincidence? |





No comments:
Post a Comment